Friday, July 1, 2011

Another Round of Handwringing Over DIY Firearm Euthanasia | petMD

Dr. Khuly takes on a really tough subject in this article about do-it-yourself euthanasia of pets - particularly dogs and horses. Euthanasia is not a pretty subject regardless of how it's carried out. Losing a loved pet just isn't something we want to think about. I've had the unfortunate experience to lose a number of pets. They were all humanely euthanized under the supervision of my veterinarian. My heart was breaking and I was sobbing. I can't even begin to imagine anyone using a firearm to "put their pet to sleep."

As you know, I have horses. Fortunately I've never had to put a horse down or even watch the procedure for a friend's horse. I've read stories of people putting their horses down and cry the whole time. I dread the day when it's my turn. Again, it will only be accomplished under the supervision of my veterinarian. Certainly not at the hands of my husband or one of his friends with a gun.

Our pets give us unconditional love for their entire lives. The least we can do is offer them a peaceful alternative when their time comes. Thanks Dr. Khuly for bringing this information to light.

Another Round of Handwringing Over DIY Firearm Euthanasia | petMD

No comments:

Post a Comment