Thursday, June 16, 2011

Found a Lost Pet? My Neighborhood’s Tips on Getting Fluffy and Fido Back Home Again | petMD

Here are some good tips for what to do if you find a lost pet. The same could apply if you've lost a pet and you are trying to find them. Since the author is located in Miami, you'll have to revise to meet Central Florida's needs such as placing an ad in the Orlando Sentinel and contacting the Orlando SPCA or local Animal Control Services. Unfortunately, the SPCA doesn't take strays, just surrenders - people who can no longer take care of their pets.

Microchipping your pet is one of the best defenses against getting a lost pet returned. It doesn't cost a lot and can ensure the safe return of your pet. Another good idea I learned from a local rescue, Buddies for Life, when I adopted my two puppies, is to get an engraved tag that says, "Reward" and your phone number. I thought that was brilliant. So in addition to a microchip, my dogs wear reward tags.

Proper supervision of your pet and proper confinement are also important. You should never let your pet run loose. If a pet is outside, it must be in an enclosed area or under the control of an "invisible fence" type product. I've used the invisible fence successfully for years and currently have four dogs that wouldn't dream of leaving my yard. They aren't perfect though because they don't keep other animals out. Stray dogs, wildlife, etc. can still be a threat to your pet and you should supervise accordingly. For example, I never leave my Papillon unsupervised for even a second!

I hope you never know the heartache of a lost pet. If you find one, please try to help.

Found a Lost Pet? My Neighborhood’s Tips on Getting Fluffy and Fido Back Home Again | petMD

No comments:

Post a Comment