Thursday, June 23, 2011

It’s Almost the Fourth of July! Do You Have Your Pet Appeasement Program Prepared? | petMD

It's not too early to start thinking about how to protect your pets on the Fourth of July. My Papillon, Leiden, shakes so hard and her heart beat so fast I think she's going to explode. Inevitably at least one or two of our neighborhood dogs run away. They hear the noise and just start running. They have no concern for their safety - they just want to get away from that terrifying noise Good time to make sure your dogs identification tags and microchip are up to date and registered with a "get me home" organization. I used to worry a lot about how my horses would deal with fireworks. Some of my neighbors have had horses that were terrified when the fireworks started. I even bought "puff balls" to put in their ears. Well they hated that idea and actually, seem to deal with the fireworks better than the dogs.

I like Dr. Khuly's suggestion - Mozart and Spielberg. Find a way to distract your pup from the noise. Last resort, call your vet for a sedative. Happy Fourth!

It’s Almost the Fourth of July! Do You Have Your Pet Appeasement Program Prepared? | petMD

No comments:

Post a Comment